Sunday, May 20, 2012

They Popped the Question

My baby will be 2 years old this month.  At work, I finally got asked the question I've been waiting to hear for a year now.  "How long are you going to breastfeed him?"  Frankly, I'm quite surprised and happy that it took my co-workers this long to pop the question.  In my department, it's me and two guys.  We'll call them Joe and Jack.  They both know I pump at work.  Joe is quite comfortable with that.  Jack, not so much.  Jack even said he was uncomfortable in his childbirth class years ago when it came to the breastfeeding part.  But, he was the one that asked the question, albeit a bit uncomfortably.  Since I've been waiting for this for a while now, I've had a little time to contemplate my response.  I was quite proud to quote the WHO's (World Health Organization)  recommendation of "up to two years of age or beyond."  I then went on to inform them that the average age for weaning worldwide was 4 years old.  "What? Really!"  was the reply I got.  I told them a little about Mongolia (which I learned from this awesome post) and how they routinely breastfeed past 5 years old.  We talked some about how breasts were so sexualized in our country, how breastfeeding wasn't "normal," and how important normalizing it is. Jack thanked me for being able to come to me with his questions and being so open about the subject.  Honestly, it felt good to know the facts and be able to give my co-workers accurate information.  It felt good to be listened to sincerely, even if it was an uncomfortable subject (for them, not me!).  My hope is that this conversation will allow Jack to be a little more at ease when he sees someone  breastfeeding, but my ultimate hope is that one day that someone will be his daughter.

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised it took 2 years too! That's pretty cool that it led to good and open conversation. Great job Andie!!

    ReplyDelete